Wednesday, December 07, 2011

A Conversation About Competencies

I have spoken to tens of customers in the past years about competencies. I must admit that I was not very clear about what customers wanted when they ask for competencies. When I tried to study what customers have done successfully, I could not find a many success stories. Most customers said that they are not happy with the way they are building a competency catalog or a competency tool. Some customers have been trying for years without success. I was curious to understand if there are fundamental problems in implementing a competency catalog and a tool to use them effectively.

Recently how ever, I met a customer who said that all they want is to enable managers to have a meaningful conversation with employees about the strengths of an employee and the areas where a employee needs to improve. They wanted a tool that enables this conversation between an employee and his manager. I really like this definition

I wonder if there are other good requirements definitions of a competency tool. If you think I am missing something, could you please point me in the right direction or the right person?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...